In the past week alone, we’ve seen an influx of new mobile devices introduced to the market that will give consumers even more options when selecting the perfect smartphone or tablet for their particular needs.
After a week of reading about the Kindle Fire HD tablets, the upcoming Nokia Lumia phones and rumors about a new iPhone, it seems like very appropriate timing to release our latest Mobile Mix report.
Containing data from Q2 of this year, the report looks at the tens of billions of impressions we see on our platform every month and calls out the top manufacturers, operating systems, mobile phones, tablets and more.
One stat that stood out this month in particular was the continued growth of smartphones. We’ve certainly seen tremendous growth from smartphones for years now, but in Q2 of 2012, 74 percent of all impressions on our platform came from smartphones which was an increase of 8 percentage points year-over-year.
Here are some of the other stats included in this month’s report:
- Apple remained the leading manufacturer on our platform with more than 31 percent of the impression share. The iPhone also remained the leading individual mobile phone on our platform.
- Samsung devices represented 22 percent of impressions on our platform and had 8 devices in our top 20 mobile phones. All Samsung phones in the top 20 list rose in position compared to where they were in Q1.
- Android was the leading OS on our platform with 46 percent of total impressions. iOS was second with 34 percent of the total impressions.
- The iPad, Samsung Galaxy Tab and Kindle Fire were the top three tablets on our platform and all ranked in the top 20 overall mobile devices.
- 95 percent of tablet impressions came over a Wi-Fi network, showing that many tablet owners are using their devices at home or work, where they have reliable Wi-Fi connections.
Visit http://www.millennialmedia.com/mobile-intelligence/mobile-mix/ to download the full free report.